Infertility is defined as failure to become pregnant after one or more years of unprotected sexual intercourse. Many reasons exist causing female infertility. Some common disorders include:
- Ovulatory failure
- Blocked fallopian tubes
- Uterine fibroids
- PID (pelvic inflammatory disease)
- PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome)
- Hormonal imbalances
- Age and unknown factors
The regulation of the menstrual cycle is a key factor in the treatment of female infertility according the principles of Traditional Chinese Medicine. Once function, circulation, and hormonal balance is restored, conception may be achieved.
Research has confirmed the benefits of fertility acupuncture and herbal medicine for the following:
- Regulation of the menstrual cycle
- Stress and anxiety reduction associated with infertility
- Regulation of hormonal imbalances and the endocrine system
- Improved blood flow in the uterus.
- Decreased chance of miscarriage.
- Improved probability of pregnancy for women undergoing in vitro fertilisation (IVF).
- Male Infertility
Because of the complex nature of infertility, multiple treatments are needed to ensure optimal success. Fertility treatments vary from person to person, but are usually scheduled for at least twelve weeks (three consecutive cycles).
Efficacy can usually be seen within one to three courses. It is advised for those undergoing treatment to have patience and to understand that it takes time to get the body back into balance.
Your Registered Chinese Medicine Practitioner at Acupuncture Coffs Harbour will advise you to not try to get pregnant until after at least twelve weeks.
In conjunction with acupuncture treatment, herbal medicine is highly recommended to significantly improve the possibility of fertilization, a smooth pregnancy, and an uncomplicated birth.